If you're ready to fine tune the vision for your next app or software development project, then start the conversation here
Do you have an idea for developing useful software that might interest a wide audience? The most correct and convenient way to spread your ideas is to use SaaS – Software as a Service.
Boxed software solutions today are bought less as they can’t solve all needs. The SaaS will help you to present your product to a large audience with minimum expenses. In this article, we’re going to review what a SaaS solution is, the features of SaaS development, as well as the costs.
What is a SaaS solution?
Software as a Service is a business model of using software where the customer is provided with a convenient web interface and full access to the application via the Internet. Implementing software functionality is usually described in the technical documentation of the project.
A distinctive feature of this kind of software is installing the main software core on the SaaS provider server. The advantages of SaaS are the following:
- The user does not need to install this software in their workplace since it’s located on the provider’s server
- A relatively minimal set of licensed software is required to operate
- There is no need to monitor software updates, reliability and availability of physical equipment, and the operation of anti-virus systems
- You don’t have to worry about the security of information because the reliability of modern DATA centers is virtually 100%
- The user’s office doesn’t depend on a particular computer
- SaaS software in most cases is cheaper than similar boxed versions
The SaaS model allows you to gain the benefits of a commercial software license, operation without administrative / maintenance complications and a relatively low acquisition cost. Many types of software work well with SaaS. Examples include CRM systems, project management, HR management, e-mail, and video conferencing. SaaS web application development is often licensed by the number of employees, sometimes with a relatively small number of users.
The distinctive advantage of the SaaS model for the user is the absence of costs associated with the update, installation, and maintenance of the hardware and software.
In the SaaS model:
- multiple clients can use one application
- the application is suitable for remote use
- technical support for the application is included in the fee
- the payment model is based on the number of services used or as a monthly fee
- the application is updated and upgraded transparently and smoothly for users
SaaS systems do not require particularly long preparation before implementation, which reduces any types of costs that may be associated with the implementation of the project, and the consumer receives the return as quickly as possible in the form of optimized business processes, loyal customers, managerial transparency, etc. In addition, SaaS solutions offer great automation of almost all business processes.
SaaS Development Features
For a successful SaaS web application development, you need to consider some specific features:
- Even if you initially decided to create a web application, it’s recommended to provide the possibility to create a related mobile application sometime in the future: the number of mobile users is constantly growing, and it would be unreasonable to ignore such a big audience.
- The application must be able to withstand heavy loads and operate in multi-tenancy mode: it may not be necessary at the initial stage, but you need to be prepared for a large number of requests in the future.
- There is a need to provide the possibility of further expansion and modification: you may need to add new modules or customized solutions or integrate other applications (for example, related service providers that will not create competition but can help attract more users).
When you decide to expand your business, it will entail certain changes to the application.
SaaS applications should be as convenient and easy to use as possible, and this implies:
- user-friendly and intuitive tools for working with the application
- simple accounts registration and simple procedures for issuing orders and payment
- placing contact information in easy-to-find places
- implementation of UX and UI elements at the highest possible level: such an application primarily attracts and retains the attention of visitors and customers
- as the SaaS application provides for collective use by a large number of users, special attention should be paid to the protection of information: who can use the information, and how is the information accessed, how is the user authenticated, etc.
- when creating a SaaS application, the architecture must be prioritized: The basic logic that must initially be taken into account for all the features of your future product and the possibility of expansion. Technology and programming languages are also important, but their choice will depend on the experience of the SaaS development company and the specifics of the site.
The Development Costs
The cost of developing a SaaS web application consists of the following stages of work:
- Analysis of customer requirements, creating the mindmap and/or specifications, creating the wireframes. On this step, you will spend an average of $1,000 to $2,500, depending on the complexity.
- The developers create mockups for each page and the designers create the design prototype. This step may cost you $2,500 to $6,500.
- Pre-testing. All the created mockups and prototypes are tested and discussed with the customer. If necessary, additional features are added.
- This is the most important and the most resource intensive stage. The development team works hard to create the SaaS product taking into account all your specific needs. Also, it’s the most budget intensive stage which may reach tens of thousands of dollars.
- Testing the application. All the features are finally tested before the customer gets their product. It may take up to the half of the funds needed at the development stage.
So, the total cost of developing a SaaS application will average in the range of $10,000 to $100,000.
As you can see, SaaS reacts quickly to the changing demands and expectations of the consumer market, and accordingly, has good prospects for SaaS web application development in the future. At Dedicated Developers, our task SaaS development company organizes all technical issues related to the distribution of your software. Everyone does the work that they do best. This is one of the keys to success. You express your idea and we embody it as a real working program, ready for distribution with the SaaS model.
The work is carried out in close interaction because the architecture and functionality of the software are based on your unique needs. You get the reliable protection of your intellectual property because the application remains on your server in a single copy.